ARB software and documentation are copyrighted by Lehrstuhl für Mikrobiologie, TU München External software distributed together with ARB is copyrighted by their respective authors.
ARB and bundled software may be copied on a non-profit basis. Use is permitted for non-profit purposes. For usage conditions in commercial environments please read the detailed copyright notices.
- Last Update : 2016-Aug-22
View log of changes
Also have a look at the production version of arb (=more recent than release).
- Last Update : 2012-Nov-15
View log of changes
- Don't ask - there IS no version for Windows
Linux-Requirements: A recent version of Linux (based on libc 6).
To detect which version you have type 'ldd /bin/su'. If libc.so.6 shows up you have a version based on libc 6.
ARB can be quite hungry for memory, depending on the database.
Please have a look at the ARB hardware requirements.
First, go through the readme:
Then choose version to install from this page.
Click on the respective link and download the following files:
|arb_install.sh||: Installation script|
|arb-*.tgz||: ARB program (choose one of the provided versions, not all!)|
Once you have downloaded these files,
put them into a directory,
open a console window in that directory and
run the "arb_install.sh" script there.
Answer the queries to install the "ARB program".
- Do not uncompress and untar arb.tgz directly, instead, use the install script (arb_install.sh)!
- The production version of arb is installed and used inhouse at MPI for Marine Microbiology in Bremen.
It frequently updates from development changes, i.e. it contains recent bugfixes and newest features, but also may break working things. It is updated at least every few months.
Information about downloadable production version builds is provided in the arb wiki.
ARB versions in this section are maintained by ARB users
Initial port was done by Ben Hines and Mike Dyall-Smith.
From 2008 until 2013 ongoing mac ports by Matt Cottrell. We included Matts build instructions into the ARB tarball (and online at arb_OS_X_MacPorts.txt and arb_OS_X.txt).
Since 2018 Jan Gerken from the arb-silva team maintains a homebrew recipe for arb.
UNTESTED and/or EXPERIMENTAL version of ARB is available as Debian package and the same can be downloaded here.
Debian version is maintained by Andreas Tille.
Please access the source using our
or if you just wanna look, simply browse the source.
You´ll also find a tarball (arbsrc.tgz) in every build.
See also: Instructions to compile ARB from source (on Ubuntu).
- If you make changes to the source code and think the public should benefit from them, please send a diff against the latest SVN version (instructions howto do this can be found here).
- Last Update : 2007-Apr-16
- If you download databases using windows, only download the .gz files! Otherwise the file will be corrupted.
A central directory of ARB databases available on the web can be found at
ARB database central.
We encourage you to share your work with others and to publish a link to your own database there.